Prospective Foster Parent
Will it be easy? Nope. Worth it? Absolutely.
There is no more important role than providing a home for a child whose family is in crisis, and it is the greatest reward knowing that you’ve made a difference in the life of a child. Whether you are single and live alone or are married and your grown children have left the nest, you could be the ideal foster parent for a child in need of a home.
As a foster parent you can:
- Provide a child in need with a safe and secure environment
- Ensure that a child feels wanted and loved; every child deserves that
- Help a child develop healthy and meaningful attachments
Am I ready to become a foster parent?
- Am I 21 years old or older?
- Do I have adequate income to meet my own needs?
- Are the people I live with interested in engaging in this process?
- Is my home safe, and does it have room for another person?
- Do I have a genuine concern for the best interest of children and a willingness to work through challenging behaviors?
- Could I be accepting of the child’s birth family and be willing to work in partnership with them toward reunification when safe?
- Am I willing to attend trainings that will help me develop and strengthen the skills necessary to work effectively with foster children?
- Am I willing to work with a team of service providers to work toward a common goal?
Our most successful foster parents are open-minded, dependable, patient, and willing to explore and implement different parenting styles for children with different needs. Having a flexible schedule, being tolerant, and demonstrating the ability to work as a member of our team are all important qualities for success.
How do I become certified?
- Complete application with references and medical forms
- Get fingerprinted
- Submit paperwork for criminal background check
- Schedule face-to-face appointment to review application
- Schedule and complete home study
- Make necessary adjustments identified during home study
- Complete 12-week training
- Receive certificate of approval